- Hands-On Vegetable and Herb Gardening. Prairie Grass Nature Museum. Saturday, May 29, 10 am - noon. Ages 8-14. Cost: $12R/$16NR. Registration Required. It's always good to learn by doing. Learn about planting vegetable seedlings by putting them in the new Educational Garden Bed at the Prairie Grass Nature Museum. Bring hand tools if you have them, garden gloves, and drinking water. Participants will receive a plant to take home. #13476
- Mid-day Nature Breaks: Prairie Grass Nature Museum Outside. Free. Ages 4-9. Registration required. Tuesday, May 11, 12:15-1 pm #13404
- Sunset Hikes: Shag Bark Nature Preserve. Free. Ages 3+. Registration required. Thursday, May 13, 7-8 pm #13401
- Go Round Lake: Several walks are planned for our Go Round Lake Area initiative. See schedule of those walks HERE.
Prairie Grass Nature Museum
The Prairie Grass Nature Museum will be open for limited hours by appointment beginning May 8, 2021.
Days/Times available are:
- Saturdays: 10:30, 11:10, 11:50 am
- Sundays: 11, 11:40 am, 12:20 pm
- Tuesdays: 3, 3:40 pm
Group size limited to 8 people. To make a reservation, call Guest Services between 8 am - 4 pm Monday-Friday at (847) 546-8558.
The Prairie Grass Nature Museum and Interpretive Nature Trail lets everyone explore and discover in a hands-on, interactive atmosphere. If you have questions, our qualified museum staff can tell you all about our exhibits and animals in a way that will make our museum one of your favorite places to spend time. There's a lot to see and experience, we encourage you to visit as often as you like. We're located at the Aquatics Center & Nature Museum Building.
Nature Discovery Packs
Discovery Packs are available to borrow. Contact the Nature Museum and we'll loan out a Nature Discovery Pack for your next nature walk - free of charge. It includes: magnifying glass, compass, binoculars, ruler, IL plant ID guide, IL wildlife ID guide, laminated activity sheets, and markers. It's the perfect companion to have out in the woods! Contact Kathy Paczynski, Recreation Supervisor, at 847-886-5096 to arrange to borrow a Nature Discovery Pack by picking it up at the Robert W. Rolek Community Center, 814 Hart Road, Round Lake, during guest services hours.
Round Lake Survey
The Round Lake Management Commission needs your help in preparing a plan for managing the needs of our namesake gem, Round Lake. Please take two minutes to answer a few questions to identify how we use the lake and what needs and issues should be examined and addressed.
Your voice matters: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RRLD296
- Early Education programs for children with parents
- School-Age Programs
- Camps; Summer, Fall and Winter
Fishing and Paddling programs
Through the assistance of the Huebner Fishery Management Foundation, the Round Lake Area Park District is working to promote good fishing for all age and skill levels, the achievement of a reasonable diverse fish population, and the safe enjoyment of all water recreation activities through public opportunities and education. For more information on our fishing and paddling programs, see HERE
Enjoy the great outdoors and interact up close with nature! All birthday parties include 60 minutes of naturalist-led activities, indoor or outdoor, and 30 minutes inside for gifts and food. Birthday child can choose to take a photo with one of our live animals.
Teachers, Educators & Scout Leaders check out the educational programs we offer:
If you would like more information regarding availability, contact Kathy Paczynski at 847-886-5096 or complete the appropriate fillable agreement form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.