- Birding for Young Naturalists. Prairie Grass Nature Museum. Saturday, May 1, 11 am-12:30 pm. Ages 8-14. Cost: $6R/$10NR. Registration Required. For children interested in learning about birds, here is an opportunity to go on a bird walk, learn basic bird identification, and build a bird house to bring home. This program will be held outdoors, please dress for the weather. #13477
- Hands-On Vegetable and Herb Gardening. Prairie Grass Nature Museum. Saturday, May 29, 10 am - noon. Ages 8-14. Cost: $12R/$16NR. Registration Required. It's always good to learn by doing. Learn about planting vegetable seedlings by putting them in the new Educational Garden Bed at the Prairie Grass Nature Museum. Bring hand tools if you have them, garden gloves, and drinking water. Participants will receive a plant to take home. #13476
- Hikes For Health: Rollins Savanna; Free. Ages 1+. Registration required. Saturday, March 13, 9-10 am #13409; Saturday, April 10, 9-10 am #13410
- Ice Fishing: Lake Front Park Boat Landing. Additional ice fishing programs have been added. Free Ages 8-11. Registration Required. Saturday, March 6, 2-3 pm #13380 ; Saturday, March 20, 2-3 pm #13811. Program will be held weather and ice conditions permitting.
- Landscaping for the Birds. Prairie Grass Nature Museum. Saturday, May 1, 2-3:30 pm. Ages 14+. Cost: $15R/$20NR. Registration Required. Attract songbirds and migratory birds to your yard. Learn what plants will beautify your landscape and help local birds, too. Your garden can be beautiful and useful. Build a bluebird house to take home. #13475.
- Make the Switch (to native plants). Prairie Grass Nature Museum. Saturday, April 10, 1-2 pm. Ages 14+. Cost: $5R/$8NR. Registration Required. Going Native is amazing. Learn why you should use native plants and how to select them. Help birds, pollinators, and wildlife. Learn which plants are suitable for your yard and how to plant them. Take home seeds selected for your site.#13474
- Mid-day Nature Breaks: Prairie Grass Nature Museum Outside. Free. Ages 4-9. Registration required. Tuesday, March 16, 12:15-1 pm #13402; Tuesday, April 13, 12:15-1 pm #13403; Tuesday, May 11, 12:15-1 pm #13404
- Outdoor Adventurer: Hart's Woods. Free. Ages 6-11. Free. Registration required. Wednesday, Feb. 24, 3:30-4:15 pm #13405; Wednesday, March 24, 3:30-4:15 pm #13406; Wednesday, April 14, 3:30-4:15 pm #13407
- Seed Starting: Prairie Grass Nature Museum. Saturday April 3, 10-11:30 am, $12R/$15NR. Ages 14+. Registration Required. Get a head start on your summer vegetable garden. Learn the best way to start seeds. This is a hands-on program and participants will go home with planted seeds to care for and add to your garden.#13472
- Seeds for Young Gardeners. Prairie Grass Nature Museum. Saturday, April 3, 12:30-1:30 pm. Ages 8-14. Cost: $10R/$12NR. Registration Required. Learn about plants and seeds. Participants will examine seeds and seed sprouts. Everyone will plant seeds to take home and plant in your garden or grow on a porch or balcony. #13473
- Sunset Hikes: Shag Bark Nature Preserve. Free. Ages 3+. Registration required. Thursday, March 18, 6-7 pm #13399; Thursday, April 15 6:30-7:30 pm #13400; Thursday, May 13, 7-8 pm #13401
- Go Round Lake: Several walks are planned for our Go Round Lake Area initiative. See schedule of those walks HERE.
Prairie Grass Nature Museum
The Prairie Grass Nature Museum is currently closed due to state guidelines for COVID-19. However, outdoor nature programs are running.
The Prairie Grass Nature Museum and Interpretive Nature Trail lets everyone explore and discover in a hands-on, interactive atmosphere. If you have questions, our qualified museum staff can tell you all about our exhibits and animals in a way that will make our museum one of your favorite places to spend time. There's a lot to see and experience, we encourage you to visit as often as you like. We're located at the Aquatics Center & Nature Museum Building.
Nature Discovery Packs
Discovery Packs are available to borrow during open museum hours. Visit the Nature Museum and we'll loan out a Nature Discovery Pack for your next nature walk - free of charge. It includes: magnifying glass, compass, binoculars, ruler, IL plant ID guide, IL wildlife ID guide, laminated activity sheets, and markers. It's the perfect companion to have out in the woods! If the museum is not open, contact Kathy Paczynski, Recreation Supervisor, at (847) 740-9823 to arrange to borrow a Nature Discovery Pack by picking it up at the Robert W. Rolek Community Center, 814 Hart Road, Round Lake, during registration hours.
- Early Education programs for children with parents
- School-Age Programs
- Camps; Summer, Fall and Winter
Fishing and Paddling programs
Through the assistance of the Huebner Fishery Management Foundation, the Round Lake Area Park District is working to promote good fishing for all age and skill levels, the achievement of a reasonable diverse fish population, and the safe enjoyment of all water recreation activities through public opportunities and education. For more information on our fishing and paddling programs, see HERE
Enjoy the great outdoors and interact up close with nature! All birthday parties include 60 minutes of naturalist-led activities, indoor or outdoor, and 30 minutes inside for gifts and food. Birthday child can choose to take a photo with one of our live animals.
Teachers, Educators & Scout Leaders check out the educational programs we offer:
If you would like more information regarding availability, contact Kathy Paczynski at 847-740-9823 or complete the appropriate fillable agreement form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.