Monthly GO Walks*
|Welcome Spring - Go Round Lake Walk||Saturday, March 20, 2021||9-10 a.m.||Sports Center Trail||Program #13465|
|Earth Day - Go Round Lake Walk
||Saturday, April 24, 2021||11:30 a.m. to noon||Rolek Community Center outside
|May Day - Go Round Lake Walk||Saturday, May 1, 2021||9-10 a.m.||Rollins Savannah Forest Preserve||Program #13467|
|National Trails Day - Go Round Lake Walk||Saturday, June 5, 2021||9-10 a.m.||Nippersink Forest Preserve
*Dates/times are subject to change
Other Nature Walks are scheduled, including:
- Hikes For Health: Rollins Savanna; Free. Ages 1+. Registration required. Saturday, March 13, 9-10 am #13409; Saturday, April 10, 9-10 am #13410
- Sunset Hikes: Shag Bark Nature Preserve. Free. Ages 3+. Registration required. Thursday, March 18, 6-7 pm #13399; Thursday, April 15 6:30-7:30 pm #13400; Thursday, May 13, 7-8 pm #13401
Check our Facebook group for more information: www.facebook.com/groups/GORoundlakearea
GO Round Lake Area is a community wellness movement, presented by the Round Lake Area Park District, designed to increase community health and wellness through activity, education, and collaboration.
Together with community members, government agencies, clubs, organizations, businesses, and schools, GO Round Lake Area seeks to create more awareness of the benefits of walking and a walkable community.
In September 2015, at the National Recreation and Park Association Conference, then U.S. Surgeon General, Dr. Vivek H. Murthy was speaking about his call to action for the United States - Step It Up. His program focuses on promoting optimal health before disease occurs, and accessibility for everyone to safe spaces to walk or wheelchair role. Dr. Murthy explained only 30 minutes of walking can significantly improve a person's quality of life and "parks save lives."
The U.S Surgeon General asked everyone in the nation to play their role in building a great American community, a place where being physically active is not only easy, but more engaging and fun!
The goal of GO Round Lake Area is to get everyone in our community to walk for 30 minutes a day. By increasing the availability of these community walks, with support from the park district, friends, family, and community organizations, we want to get everyone moving more, educated on the benefits of walking, and improving their overall health & wellness. The benefits of walking include:
- Weight less and maintenance of a healthy weight
- Prevents or manages various conditions including: heart disease, high blood pressure, and type 2 diabetes
- Reduces risk of coronary heart disease, breast and colon cancer, osteoporosis, and Alzheimer's disease
- Strengthens bones and muscles
- Leads to a longer life
- Enhances mental wellbeing
- Improves sleep
- Supports healthy joints
- Slows mental decline
- And so much MORE!